Boasting more than 20 minerals and vitamins, avocados are one of the most nutritious fruits around – get your guac on!
Avocados are packed with fibre, potassium and vitamins B6 and Vitamin C. They’re also rich in folate, which can is a mood elevator. The type of fat found in avocado is mostly a mixture of monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. Polyunsaturated fats are essential. This means they’re necessary for your body to function, but it can’t make them itself. Your body uses these fats to build cell membranes and the covering of nerves. And they’re also needed for blood clotting and muscle movement. Monounsaturated fat studies have linked these fats to reduced inflammation and lower risk of heart disease. A cup of avocado also provides a whopping 10g of fibre – per day a healthy amount is 15- 20g total so avocado can provide about half of this!
The health benefits include:
– Anti-inflammatory properties – can relieve joint pain
– Regulates blood pressure – low in sodium
– Good for heart health – can regulate cholesterol
– Boosts fertility
– Good for eye health
– Excellent source of folate – helps healthy foetal development
– Improved digestion because of the high fibre content
– Low in sugar – 100% natural
– Powerhouse of nutrients, vitamins and minerals – they are dense in potassium, folate, magnesium, manganese, copper, iron, zinc, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin B6 and phosphorous
My favourite way to eat avocado is on wholewheat toast, with chilli, garlic, coriander, baby tomatoes and salt. They are a great smoothie alternative or as a topping on pizza or mashed as a base in a wrap.